Sunday 24 April 2011

April heatwave

We've had lots of sunshine and hot temperatures over the last two weeks and no April showers. The clementis at the end of the garden is out already. Spent a couple of hours weeding today and did about half the garden. Also cut back one of the bushes a bit. The orange blossom tree is now a peculiar shape where bits have broken off but i don't want to cut it back to badly. Noticed a few slugs when i was weeding so I need to get some nematodes again. Couldn't really use the other slug stuff as you are meant to do it when its damp; and it is certainly not damp! After weeding the cottage bed though realised now that the fennel has gone the bed is pretty bare. Two of the three bushes I bought 3 years ago have now died. Several of the plants and bulbs are now under where the bushes have grown out to. In the hot bed I didn't cut back the red hot pokers last year and now think maybe I should have. I'm a bit concerned the grasses by Joes haven't started growing at all. Hope I haven't killed them. Have been looking back at last years photos and realised I've already lost quite a lot of the bulbs i planted the year before last - didn't get any of the yellow bulbs along Joe's bed at all.
I need to:
Carry on weeding
Try and get some shape into the bushes at the end of the garden
Lawn care
Get the slugs
Do some tomatoes
We've another long weekend next weekend so hopefully I get some of this done then.

No comments: